Careem, a famous ride-hailing mobile app developed specifically for the Middle East audience has given direct competition to cab booking giant Uber( acquired by Uber lately). The vehicle hiring app is one of the most famous and trusted apps that offers a seamless experience to its users. Here is an overview of the Careem car booking app.
- Careem History
- Careem Business Model
- Features Of Careem App
- Careem’s Revenue Model
- Careem Rewards System
- Direct Competition to Uber in the Middle East
- Specifications & Technology Used
- Cost to Develop Careem like On-Demand Super App
Careem is a local on-demand app-based car booking startup like Uber. The app was developed to fulfill the basic ride necessities of those travelers who were not able to find any ride booking solution easily.
The company began its services as a web-based service for corporate car bookings and transformed into a company with car hire for routine usage. During the initial days of launch, pre-scheduled bookings were offered, so that they get a good time to appoint and arrange a cab for users. The users were mainly those from firms that require a lot of traveling.
In one of the public interviews given by Careem’s Co-founder and CEO Mudassir Sheikha stated that Careem aspires to become an app focused on a consumer’s daily needs highlighting the synergies that will lead to greater operational efficiencies and improved customer experience.
“In a single platform, we can build a more holistic view of the consumer,” Sheikha explained. Although we are essentially in the same business as Uber, our business model is both B2B and B2C with 2 main products – pre-scheduled and on-demand (NOW) bookings. We charge clients on a per km and per min basis much like taxi cabs.
Careem Business Model
Careem’s business model consists of three modules which include:
1. Driver/Captain App
2. Passenger App
3. Admin Dashboard
The captain will use the app to receive cab bookings and earn money. Here are the steps to register as a Driver:
1. Register your details at drive.careem.com
2. Complete our Captain training
3. Download our driver app
4. Accept your first trip, and you’re already on your journey to earn money
5. The cab booking service is available 24/7 in major cities around MENA, Pakistan, and Turkey, such as Dubai, Lahore, Karachi, Riyadh, Jeddah, Cairo, Beirut, Islamabad, Istanbul and many more.
The user will use the app to book a cab as per their convenience. It can be booked for daily commuting pr can be scheduled for later.
1. Download the app. Our GPS ninjas will automatically pick up your location more accurately than a cab.
2. Pick your car type and choose ‘Ride now’ or ‘Ride later’ depending on when you want to get going. A more flexible option than a taxi.
3. Choose your dropoff location for a fare estimate.
4. Tap ‘YALLA!’ and instantly get a confirmation instantly, complete with your Captain’s details and location.
5. Track your ride in real-time. Then just get in, sit back and relax. You only pay after the ride is complete.
6. While booking the ride you can opt for either pay via credit card or cash payment. In the case of credit card payment, payment will be automatically deducted by the Careem and if you opt for cash payment, you will have to hand it to the driver at the end of the ride. After the end of the ride, you can rate the service of Careem as well if you want to give feedback.
The admin dashboard lets super admin to manage the drivers, cabs, reviews, dashboard and much more.
Features Of Careem App
Careem’s Revenue Model
Shared by one of the Quora users, Booking at Careem can be divided into 3 basic categories:
3. REPEAT (Same booking for every day within a prescribed period.
Now for each booking/trip, the basic payment options are:
2. Credit Card
4. Credit in Wallet (Same as Cash)
This is absolutely true that Careem has a certain percentage in every trip fare and a person can wonder about the procedure through which a Captain can return that amount to Careem. Captain can see his earnings through his portal where all the credit and debit entries are stored.
Cash Trips = Captain needs to pay Careem
All other trips = Careem needs to pay Captains.
More than 90% of the bookings are NOW bookings in the region where Careem operates and the majority of them are Cash bookings. This means that in almost all of the cases, it would be Captain who’d be owing Careem. Now Careem wants that cash as well, right? There is a cash blocking limit, which when breached, would block the captain till the time he repays back to Careem. This ensures that the cash flow is both ways, and Careem gets its share of the earnings.
Careem Rewards System
The best part of Careem’s rewards system is that there is no sign up required and users can earn points on every ride.
Rewards and Benefits:
1. Get Free Rides
2. Give a helping hand to others
3. Do a charity or donation
4. Feed a child
5. This can be done in a single tap and one can explore the world of more rewards from Careem.
Careem Gold Rewards
Once you are upgraded to Careem gold, you will get some additional benefits which include:
1. Bonus Points
2. Exclusive offers
3. Priority Support
Business Verticals of Careem
Being a super app, Careem is not limited to cab booking service only, it has expanded its verticals in
2. Delivery Services
3. Seamless Payments
4. Bus Service Availability
5. Business Travelling Rides
As aforementioned, this super app’s sole aim is to heal the pain point of people, which is why it offers more than just a cab booking service. One can either get on-demand food, get some stuff delivered right at their doorstep, do some serious payments and much more. This is the reason, it is named as a SUPER APP and we can call it a One Stop Solution for all the on-demand needs.
Direct Competition to Uber in the Middle East
With the huge fame, this app has gained in a few years, it has become a direct competition to car-booking giant Uber, especially in the Middle East. The app has given a tough time to Uber by generating millions of revenues in the taxi booking business. However, Uber found its ways and made a deal with Careem to acquire it in $3.1 billion, in order to cover the Greater Middle east market and become a Super App. The deal is expected to be closed in early 2020, where Uber will acquire Careem’s mobility, delivery, and payments business across the greater Middle Eastern region, which includes operations in Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE.
Specifications & Technology Used
Admin : Laravel Framework, PHP, HTML5, CSS3
User: Java, Swift
Server Requirements of Careem
1. Operating System – Linux
2. Web Server – Apache
3. Database – MySQL
4. PHP – 7.1
5. Ability to Setup Cron Jobs
Why Choose Us to Develop an App like Careem
1. White Label Solution
2. Free Technical Support
3. Lifetime License
4. 100% Source Code
What Do We Offer?
1. Rider App ( Android + ios)
3. Admin Web Panel ( to manage both)
How to Develop an Entrepreneurial Careem like Solution?
To launch a large enterprise solution, one has to be very clear with the requirements and personalization they would like to have in their system. Since the ready to launch system or MVP(Minimum Viable Product) is already there, it will reduce the efforts in integrating additional features.
Cost to Develop Careem like On-Demand Super App
The cost to develop a taxi booking app like Careem will be based on the following factors:
1. Your Needs
2. Requirement gathering
3. Your App Idea + Platform requirements
4. Technology Used
A taxi app like Careem will cost you between $4,000 to $20,000. However, it totally depends on the solution you choose.
1. If you go with ready to launch and Minimum Viable Product, then the cost can be up to $5000.
2. For a mix of readymade + personalized solution, the app cost idea ranges in between $10,000-$15,000
3. For a completely customizable solution, where everything is done from scratch, will cost in between $35,000-$50,000
The above content is for service promotion only. Used trademarks, logos, screenshots of the websites and mobile apps are properties of their respective owners, we are not directly associated with them.